Most mornings when my children and I wake up, we cuddle on the couch and watch a tv show or two before we eat breakfast. This morning I was extra cold so I made hot chocolate for us all. As a sat back down on the couch I looked over at my children and thought, 'This is nice.''
I think society degrades the job of "mommy'' as if it's not as important as being a doctor or famous athlete ecetera. I still have many people come up to me and ask if I'm still running. I usually respond, ''Yep, after my children.'' I usually think to myself, ask me about my family. Sure I had a fairly successful college career but it's not what I judge my sucess on or what makes me feel accomplished in life. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mind when people ask. I understand it's a good conversation starter.)
Sure there are times I entertain the ideas of 'what if' but they are fleeting thoughts that are quickly replaced when one of my children give me a hug or accomplish something new. I know that I could never feel as fulfilled by running in the Olympics or working as a successful professional somewhere.
Now don't get me wrong being a mom isn't always smiles and happiness in fact probably more often than not it's dirty diapers and messy messes. Many times I have found myself hiding in a room/closet/bathroom, thinking do i really have to go back out there?!? I do. And at the end of the day, when they're both asleep, I take a deep breath and realize I did it (I should say we did it. Because there is no way I could do what I do without my significant other). And I'll do it the next day as well. And I will try, even though some days are more successful than others, to do it again the next day.
So as I sit here sipping hot chocolate with one baby softly nudging from the inside, one kicking me not so softly from the outside, and one resting her head on my shoulder, I can smile. I could have been a successful (insert profession here), but I choose to be a mom. . And honestly there is nothing better.
7 comments:
Ah...so true! I'm so glad I get to be a stay at home mom. It's hard, exhausting work but totally more rewarding than any other job.
100% true! Love this insight into your life. I know sometime I think, "Maybe I should be working?" It definitely would make things easier financially but my kids sure make the "tough times" worth it. Through thick and thin I love being a SAHM
You should post stuff like this more often.
You're a good mom.
And there's no way you'd want to still be running...unless you really did enjoy sticking your head in a garbage can :)
Well said Brit! You always make me want to be a better mom. Thanks for sharing.
Couldn't have said it better...
Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way!
Nicely said. :) I totally agree.
Post a Comment