Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bunk Beds

Ashlynn and Camden have been sharing a room for awhile now and I decided that I wanted bunk beds in their room. It will most likely become the "boys" room eventually. We started looking at bunk beds and they are expensive. I told Derek we could build one for much less ( I am sure he loves hearing those words). After some planning we bought some wood and went for it. It definitely changed as we started working on it.  

We used 2x4's for the legs and the base and we used 1x6's for the rails.

Derek made it so there are five pieces and it is all put together by bolts, therefore, it is easy to take apart and move if necessary. 

It cost us about $50 to make, including the stain and such.

We used the mattress's that we already had so that we didn't have to buy any.




 Pre-stain

Post-stain
Getting ready to put it up. Here are three of the pieces.
  
All put together. Look who's excited to be on the top bunk.

We still hadn't decided what we were going to do for a ladder...but wanted to get it all put together before we made one.

While we decided how to make the ladder we used an old crib piece as a ladder...It worked for the kids but wasn't very strong.

 We ended up using two handrails that we had laying around. They still need to be stained or I may paint it some bright color when I decide what color scheme the room will be.





The upper bed is a twin and the lower bed is a full. The kids have been sleeping on it for a month now and seem to love it. Now I need to decorate and paint the walls!



No comments: